Friday, June 22, 2007

Follow up on "Odd Ball Event"

I posted here the other day about a weird experience I had seeing a wall cloud. There was no lightning, no watch, and no warning. Conditions were not classic for tornado formation by any means. Well guess what? The NWS Huntsville has confirmed that an F0 tornado occurred a few miles west of where I spotted what I now believe was a wall cloud. I probably dropped the ball by not reporting it but in my disbelief I decided to wait on it and it dissipated into the rest of the clouds. Check this out:


PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HUNTSVILLE AL 610 PM CDT TUE JUN 19 2007


..NWS CONDUCTS STORM SURVEY IN TRINITY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS AND MORGAN COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT CONDUCTED A STORM SURVEY FOR DAMAGE IN THE CITY OF TRINITY THIS AFTERNOON. THE DAMAGE OCCURRED WITH A LINE OF SHOWERS THAT MOVED THROUGH THE TRINITY AREA AT APPROXIMATELY 1100 AM CDT.


THE SURVEY FOUND EVIDENCE OF A TORNADO...RATED EF-0...WITH HIGHEST ESTIMATED WINDS OF 65 MPH. THE TORNADO WAS APPROXIMATELY 25 YARDS WIDE...WITH A PATH LENGTH OF ONE-QUARTER MILE. THE DAMAGE WAS CONFINED MOSTLY TO UPROOTED TREES AND SNAPPED LIMBS. ONE RESIDENCE SUSTAINED SOME DAMAGE...MAINLY TO SHEDS AND FENCING AT THE BACK OF THE PROPERTY.


OF NOTE...THE STORM THAT SPAWNED THE TORNADO WAS VOID OF LIGHTNING ACTIVITY. THEREFORE...THE STORM IS CLASSIFIED AS A SHOWER AND NOT A THUNDERSTORM. PHOTOGRAPHS AND MAPS OF THE DAMAGE WILL BE POSTED ON THE NWS HUNTSVILLE WEBSITE...WWW.SRH.NOAA.GOV/HUN...BY 1100 AM CDT WEDNESDAY. COYNE/NADLER/RAMOS

Huntsville NWS Meteorologist Andy Kula, on talkweather.com, referred to this as "one of those odd ball event that warrants further study." It just goes to show that sometimes we get all hyped up for major outbreaks that do not happen and other times we miss all the action because things pop up unexpectedly. Expect the unexpected!

1 comment:

Dewdrop said...

Wow! That's all I can say about that... I'm rendered speechless. I guess we need to remember that and do what we're trained to do as spotters, even if we don't know for sure, we can tell them that. I didn't call mine in either...